Monday, February 18, 2008

New placemats and napkins


I had President's Day off so I spent it watching it rain and making new placemats and napkins. I chose the two fabrics you see above, which makes the placemats reversible. For the placemats, I sewed both sides together right side in, leaving a gap. When I flipped it right side out, I ironed it flat and inserted a piece of Timtex through the gap. I then sewed all the way around the edge at 1/4" to secure the Timtex inside. I did the exact same thing for the napkins, except without the Timtex. The placemats are nice and think and very sturdy. I hope they look just as nice after going through the wash! That's my only concern. I'm currently using one of the napkins as a mini runner that holds a candle (we like to eat by candlelight every evening) and our new salt and pepper cellar. What do you think??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice Jen. Nice a precise, just what you want for placemats. What is Timtex? I have never heard of it. Did you know your sewing machine was made in 1930?